Another crazy week, I am behind!! Don’t forget to follow me on social media to get the real up to date pictures and stories!
- Mon Jun 13: 89km Saskatoon SK to Viscount SK. It was painful to leave Kavita and Bruce’s, we had such an amazing time with them. Can’t wait to see them when they visit Vancouver one day! However, the road calls and we must answer. The road was not merciful. Rob had a broken spoke on the highway and while a police car pulled over to check on us, there wasn’t much he could do. We walked our bikes to the nearest town, Viscount SK and politely asked if we could use a garage to fix it in order to avoid the bugs (oh my the bugs here!). While that was being done, I scoped out spots for our tent. I rang a house’s doorbell and explain to a gentleman, Moe, what had happened and please do not call the authorities on two cyclists putting up a tent in this quiet town! He said we were welcome to use his washroom and have a shower if we’d like. Turns out he was the Mayor! Mayor Moe! Thanks Mr. Mayor! (or is that Mr. Moe?)
- Tue Jun 14: 83km to Dafoe SK. Met a wonderful lady, Liz at the 24/7 Travel Centre, and we followed her car to her house where we camped. Sandra the owner at the 24/7 Travel Centre was extremely supportive and generous. We ended up with a large bag of food leaving their store!
- Wed Jun 15: 107km to Insinger SK. We had the wind at our back today! Unfortunately, that meant lots of bugs in my hair! I ended up in the ghost town of Insinger, SK. No one lives here but people do come here for work. I gave a local, Kelly, quite the scare when I poked my nose around looking for camping spots.
- Thu Jun 16: 68km to Yorkton SK. Kelly came back in the morning with coworkers Sonya, Wayne, Dylan and Trevor. Thanks for the company at breakfast! Headed into Yorkton and got to stay at the Yorkton Fire Protective Services! Thanks to Brian, Ted, Brittany and Randy for taking us in!
- Fri Jun 17: 72km to Langenburg SK. Had an awesome interview at the firehall with CTV Yorkton. Then got chauffeured in a fire truck by Neil, Shaun, Seth and Fifer to a radio interview at The Rock 95.8FM! What an awesome day! We made it into town and asked for a place to stay at St. Paul’s Anglican Church. I spoke to pastor Aaron who was so nice, he wanted to promote my cause at the next service.
- Sat Jun 18: 50km to Binscarth SK. Woke up and was invited to the Langenburg Pancake Breakfast! Yuuummyyy! I also got interviewed for at The Four-Town Journal with Bill Johnston. Happy to learn that there were many registered organ donors in the crowd! We made our way to Binscarth, MB and what luck, came across Uncle Cam and Aunt Linda (relatives of Sandie, my friend from Winnipeg). We had another wonderful host and another breakfast the next morning.
- Sun Jun 19: 120km to Minnedosa MB. Had lunch with our friend Justin, who is actually driving across Canada because he’s starting school in Montreal this September! So glad we were able to meet for lunch in Shoal Lake, MB. Justin would later save us again because we couldn’t find any spots in Minnedosa. He came up to us from Brandon, MB and took us to his friend Vince’s house and his wonderful family! WHAT ANOTHER WEEK!
- Weekly Total: 589km (checkpoint to checkpoint only).
- Total: 2778.4km